COOR/Iosco Great Start Parent Leadership Group
What is the Parent Leadership Group?
The Great Start parent Coalition is a “grass roots” organization, which represent the voice of the family, the child and their community to the collaborative. The Great Start Parent Coalition is a subset of the Kids Great Start Multi-County Great Start Collaborative. This collaborative is the planning and decision-making body of the Michigan’s Great Start System at the local level. Michigan’s Great Start System includes connecting parents to services that provide the following:
- Child Care and Early Education
- Parenting Leadership
- Family Support
- Pediatric and Family Health
- Social and Emotional Health
While helping to support the Office of Great Start Outcomes which are:
- Children are born healthy.
- Children are healthy, thriving, and developmentally on track from birth to third grade.
- Children are developmentally ready to succeed in school at the time of school entry.
- Children are prepared to succeed in fourth grade and beyond by reading proficiently by the end of third grade.
The purpose of the Parent Leadership Group:
- To assist in building public support and will for early childhood investment through parent voice and educational activities at the local and state level;
- To support and be engaged in driving the work of the COOR/Iosco Great Start Collaborative;
- To serve as the parent voice to the Great Start Collaborative to help community partners better understand the needs and concerns of all families in our community; and
- To educate policy-makers on the importance of investing in the first eight years of life and the essential role and parents and families play in the lives of young children.
- Assist in building public support for early childhood investment
- Supports and participates in the assessment and strategic planning work of the Great Start Collaborative
- Strengthens the commitment of parents in the community, on behalf of young children
- Serve as a liaison to the Collaborative, GSRP, Head Start, and Private Preschools
Ways to get involved:
- Regularly attend and participate in Great Start Collaborative meetings
- Support Parent Leadership Group and Great Start Collaborative activities and events
- Actively share information about the Parent Leadership Group through your circle of friends, family and acquaintances
- Volunteer at Great Start Collaborative and Parent Leadership Group events
- Visit , write letters or make calls to your legislators
- Offer feedback about your experiences
*Parents who are members of the Great Start Collaborative and Leadership Group will receive support through a stipend.
Benefits of joining the Great Start Parent Leadership Group:
- Parent to parent communication
- Social networking activities with other parents
- Social opportunities for your children
- Access to a network of support from other parents
- Learning opportunities on topics that involve parenting and children
- Helping our community develop a unified statement of standards with regards to early childhood services
- Helping to increase parent leadership and advocacy within your community
- Helping improve the conditions of young children prenatal to age 8 in our 5 counties
- Helping promote laws and policies which create safe and healthy communities for young children by using authentic parent voice
- Having the opportunity to learn more about local resources available to families with young children.
- Support the full and active participation of other Collaborative and Parent Leadership Group members;
- Respect the diversity of opinions that emerge in our discussion
- Never hesitate to ask questions or share experiences;
- Assist in the recruitment of new members and in helping us “spread the word” about our efforts to other community organization and community members